Thursday, September 3, 2009

Beautiful Creations from Recycled by Hyena

 Le temps des cerises

Marcquis

Hyacinthe - Recycled top by MlleHyena.

Cecile at Recycled by Hyena is taking clothing recycling to new heights.  I’m just smitten with these beautifully designed and crafted pieces. 

I love Cecile’s ethic and aesthetic of recycling clothing into something better than the sum of its parts.  Here are some of my favorite RBH pieces—some for sale now on Cecile’s website or Etsy shop, and some that have already been sold.  

(Today, I’m the happy owner of one of Cecile’s pieces.  Keep reading to find out which.)

Robespierre - Cropped Sweater

Sylve

On her Etsy site, Cecile writes of her design philosophy:

“My clothes are made from scratch but not from new materials. They are made with fabric from clothes I purchased in Goodwill stores and non-profit thrift stores.

“I ‘believe’ in the craft revolution and I think it is our future. The handmade and eco-friendly life is the only alternative to the consumerism destroying our planet and the living beings surrounding us.”

Gentiane - Recycled Gown

Comie

 Ancolie

I don’t know about you, but these designs are not what I usually envision when I hear the word “eco-friendly.”  That they are both very desirable fore wearing, and good for the environment, and handmade, makes me really excited about Recycled by Hyena

Plus, regular people like you and me can afford them.  In times like these, that makes a difference.   

Dejante - Wristwear

Corsetage - Neck Corset

Mitaines - Fingerless Gloves

Cecile also creates these gorgeous pieces of fiber jewelry. 

The last one, the red and cream cuff, is now living in my dresser drawer (when it’s not on my arm).   

Go visit Cecile at her Etsy shop or blog! 

Sallymandy   ♥

all photos are the property of Cecile at Recycled by Hyena and cannot be copied from this site without her permission. 

14 comments:

Gal Friday said...

Those crocheted neck and wristlet/bracelet adornments are to die for!! So, I am afraid, almost, to visit the Etsy link(since I have been B-A-A-D all last month and spent too much on myself already).
I think this is the way to go--recycling old clothes into new designs(sort of like raiding the quilt scrap box--recycling old fashioned-style)

Darla said...

The cuff is lovely. I find so many of the refashioned/repurposed clothes interesting. I'll go check out the blog.

Darla

Zuzana said...

It is all beautiful; what I like about it all is that it suits almost any style; it can fit anyone's wardrobe, no matter what we like to wear.
I totally love the choker, but I would honestly wear any of it, particularly a few pieces are stunning in the colours and form.

Incredibly intriguing, from design to materials and the sentiments of recycling and creation.

aims said...

I particularly like that brown and tan jacket and those necklace pieces are stunning!

Fabulous fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my.... I like like like your blog & your pic's!! Amazing!!

Regards from Agneta in Sweden

angela recada said...

I love this stuff!

sallymandy said...

Thank you, everyone. I love this stuff, too. Thanks for the visit, Agneta from Sweden.

I hope to have a finished product to show everyone in the next week or two...a chopped/shopped sweater.

♥♥♥

Cynthia L. H. said...

Wow! I love the concept, the art/clothing/pieces....and your blog!!!!
;^)
Thank you, sallymandy...I can always count on you for enlightenment.
;^)

Maria Killam said...

Really fun clothes! And all recycled, very cool!

Rosaria Williams said...

Truly creative and innovative; not to mention "green".

The WalMart Vegan said...

Check out this site, too. She makes wonderful creations from sweaters. She has an Etsy shop, but right now I can't remember the name. I know her blog has the link though.

I'm really considering having a piece be my winter splurge.

http://jill2day.blogspot.com/

studioJudith said...

Such inspiring creativity!
Thanks for sharing this talented work - Jjjj

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That cuff is gorg!

Recycled By Hyena said...

A huge thank you to Sallymandy for featuring my work that way and for the amazing nice words about it.

A huge thank you to everyone for your beautiful comments about my work, I am so humbled by it: thank you thank you thank you!!!

Cecile